Monday, August 9, 2010

Oh Canada I Stand on Guard For Thee!!!

So here it is ... a regular old Monday when all of a sudden my email box starts filling up. Theres 1,2 6,12...What The Hell? Did George Clooney get married and these are all wishes of sympathy??

No, not that...( I still have a shot...)

All the emails, marked urgent, were about an article published Saturday August 7th on The National Post.com by Adam McDowell , titled "The Myth of our Caesar."

Now before I go any further I need to clarify a few things...I am not a journalist and don't write for any fancy papers, so lay off my grammar & fact checking. I am not a "Cocktail Historian", a fancy New York or Paris bartender, relative of Walter Chell or own stocks in Mott's.

What I am however is...a proud CANADIAN CocktailDeeva, mom , blogger, award winning author and...THE LEADER OF CANADA'S NATION COCKTAIL PARTY!!!

So I say to you Adam McDowell and all your Sherlock Holmes worthy investigation work...

"Why?"

Why did you feel the need to debunk this so called "myth"? There are much bigger
myths to fry, Loch Ness , Big Foot, Does it really take 7 years to pass gum after you swallow it?

As a people Canadians are very proud, but we are not boastful...however sometimes we need to be damn it.
Sometimes we need to stand up and say ...NO...and NON for my bi-lingual friends...

NO you can't have it...
NO we won't let you give it away...
NO we simply don't believe you...

I know it may seem trite and yes I may need to get a life or a hobby...and yes I am wrapping the whole "Oh she's just a crazy blogger" stereo type up in a nice little ribbon for you.

But say what you will Canadians hold their countries treasures close to their hearts. We love our beavers, loons and sap. Our toques, toboggans and hockey. Out Timmie's,
back bacon and Brian Adams.

Quite frankly we (me) don't give a rats ass that you "unearthed evidence" with some U.S. cocktail guru "who consulted his large database of cocktail lore". I consulted my large database of Cocktail Lovers...and it's unanimous....

THE CAESER IS OURS...not Paris or New York's ...were keeping it...Canadian...Calgarian...

We get the Caesar...They can have Celine Dion...














Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Kelly Rusk said...

The National Post article is ridiculous. Did anyone make the *exact* recipe before Walter Chell? No. Did anyone call it the Caesar? No. Did anyone brand it, market it, or further develop it? No. That's why it's Canada's Cocktail and that's why Walter Chell's is the story of how it started.

I'm sorry but anyone can dispute the origins of anything. Take another Canadian favourite--poutine. Some guy ordered it in a bar in Quebec somewhere, it caught on, and became our national food (or at least Quebec's) does that mean if someone put cheese and gravy on Fries before that it was any less Canadian? Not at all.

It's a cultural icon and that's what was invented by Walter Chell in 1969... Of course being humble is another popular Canadian trait, which is why I'm not surprised to see a Canadian trying to dispute the origin of something so distictly Canadian. :)

Lisa said...

O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With spicy Motts, we salt thee rim
The true drink, strong (sometimes) and freeeee (hopefully!)

From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
Barkeep keep our Caesar, glorious and free

O Canada! We stand on guard for thee
O Canada! We stand on guard forrrrrr theeeeeeeeeee.